03
Mar
10

Coaches vs Parents…who has the real beef?

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Coaches vs Parents…who has the real beef?”


  1. March 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

    OK, time for all you “anonymous” hackers to take your cheap shots in a legitimate forum.

    This week for our first show, I’m torn between the following two titles:

    “The 5 things ALL coaches hate about parents”

    and

    “The 5 things ALL parents hate about coaches”

    I’m going to pick one so whether you’re a coach or a parent, let me know your top 5 pet peeves and I’ll decide which position to take for the first show. You also better be prepared to call in to the show to defend your position because this one should be pretty good.

    The side with the most and best responses will win pole position for the first show so round up the troops and get ready to wage war against the opposition. The losers may perhaps get a chance to retaliate next week…we’ll see.

    OK, LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLET’S GET READY TO RRRRRRRRRRRRRRUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!

    • March 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM

      Coaches who constantly are directing kids on every and I mean every thing they do on the court.
      They stand up the whole game and are yelling at the kids on every move they make. Some kids are afraid to do anything because of the scolding they will get. Also most coaches at the youth and AAU levels fail teach the fundamentals. Most kids I see playing these days when they first receive the ball are holding incorrectly or dribbling it right away. If the coaches at the youth and lower levels would focus on the fundamentals players would start to improve. Kids join AAU teams and they never get better because the coaches are trying to run offenses with kids whose skill level just isn’t there yet. It makes for sloppy and terrible basketball. AAU is so watered down and most of the coaches are parents who know crap about the fundamentals of the game.

      Mike

  2. 3 Bob Alspach
    March 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM

    From a coach’s perspective, the topic that creates the most angst is that of “playing time”.
    I would say that 90% of that discussion is “why isn’t my kid playing more”, and the other 10% of the time its “why is that kid playing and not this other kid?”. I truly believe that alot of this issue originates with the summer leagues and traveling teams that the kids play on. They, and their parents, are constantly told how good the kids are, that they are the best on the team, that with a little more work they will be the next Peyton Manning, Lebron James, etc etc. So, by the time they reach a very competitive situation (like trying out for varsity), they are already programmed to think that their kid is one of the best. So, the coach has to spend alot of time creating a defensible position (competitive comparisons, rubric templates, etc) which takes away from coaching the kids.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Archives


%d bloggers like this: