29
Sep
10

youth sports police blotter…and this is just this past week!

Advertisements

1 Response to “youth sports police blotter…and this is just this past week!”


  1. September 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM

    Copyright 2010 The Morning Call, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved
    Morning Call (Allentown, Pennsylvania)

    September 28, 2010 Tuesday
    FIFTH Edition

    SECTION: News; Pg. A19

    HEADLINE: CHESTNUTHILL TOWNSHIP;
    Two adults cited on incidents at youth baseball game

    BYLINE: Tracy Jordan Of The Morning Call

    A 43-year-old woman thrown out of a youth baseball game for cursing at the umpire was pushed on her way out of the ballpark by a 44-year-old man rooting for the other team, according to state police.

    Summary citations were issued to both of them.

    Karen Deegan, 43, of Brodheadsville was cited for disorderly conduct for continuing to curse at the umpire after being told to stop, and Axel Struckmeyer, 44, of Stroudsburg, was cited for harassment after allegedly pushing Deegan, state police at Fern Ridge said.

    The two were attending a youth baseball game between Pleasant Valley and Stroudsburg at the West End baseball field on Fairground Road in Chestnuthill Township.

    — Tracy Jordan

    Copyright 2010 The News Courier
    The News Courier (Athens, Alabama)

    Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Business News

    September 28, 2010 Tuesday

    SECTION: STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS

    HEADLINE: Board expels players for year

    BYLINE: Jean Cole, The News Courier, Athens, Ala.

    Sept. 28–ATHENS — Four former Elkmont High School football players expelled for a year Monday for hazing a freshman player still face possible criminal charges in connection with the incident.

    For nearly two hours Monday night the four senior boys — three with attorneys and one with his mother — were privately interviewed by the seven-member board in the Limestone County Schools Central Office boardroom in Athens.

    In the end, the seven-member board saw the incident as hazing not horseplay, and accepted Superintendent Dr. Barry Carroll’s recommendation to expel all four.

    “This was a very unfortunate situation,” board president Anthony Hilliard told The News Courier after the hearing. “I hope the kids — and not just these kids — can learn from this experience. We don’t take things of this nature — harassment or hazing or things of this nature — lightly.”

    Hilliard said board members did not initially agree on the punishment for the four boys — who were never referred to by name but only as students A, B, C and D — because two of them take special education classes. In the end, however, they all agreed on equal punishment.

    The two boys who took regular classes can return to school in one calendar year if they choose, Hilliard said. However, because the other two take special-education classes, by law the school system still must provide special education students with some form of special-education instruction until they reach age 21.

    Hilliard reminded students systemwide: “Even horseplay can escalate into other things that can impact another person’s life.”

    The players were accused of hazing a freshman player after football practice Sept. 8 in the field house locker room. Officials have declined to specify what transpired in the locker room. They say it involved one victim who was not physically injured but was humiliated by the treatment. The four players were kicked off the team last week.

    In addition, school officials filed a harassment complaint with the Limestone County Sheriff’s Department, which is interviewing witnesses. When that is complete, it will refer the case to the District Attorney’s office to see whether harassment charges or some other charges will be leveled against the boys.

    Parents, family and a girlfriend of one of the four boys attended the hearings. However, some of them waited outside the hearing room while the board asked questions.

    Principal Mickey Glass was called to give his account of what transpired based on his interviews of the boys, the victim and others.

    Sheriff’s deputies were also at the board office, one outside the door to the hearing room.

    After the interviews, Carroll made his recommendation to the board. For about an hour, the seven men privately discussed Carroll’s recommendation and the testimony they heard in the hearings, then emerged ready to vote publicly.

    The board returned and swiftly voted four times for expulsion for each of the four students. Both Carrol and board members said they had no further comment and adjourned.

    Carroll declined after the hearing to say why he recommended expulsion.

    Hilliard’s comments indicated both the board and the superintendent were trying to impart a lesson to these four boys as well as warn other students against hazing.

    Hilliard said he hoped the school and the school system could now move forward.

    “I hope our school system, and particularly Elkmont, can get past this quickly,” he said.

    Copyright 2010 The Globe and Mail, a division of CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc.
    All Rights Reserved
    The Globe and Mail (Canada)

    September 29, 2010 Wednesday

    SECTION: INTERNATIONAL NEWS; MINOR HOCKEY; Pg. A2

    HEADLINE: David Frost coaching under alias in California

    BYLINE: ADRIAN MORROW AND JOSEPH D’HIPOLITO

    Nearly two years after he was acquitted of sexually exploiting young hockey players at a high-profile trial in Canada, David Frost has resurfaced thousands of kilometres away, working under an alias at a hockey school in the suburbs of Southern California.

    While his co-workers and clients are divided about the notion of the man they know as “Jim McCauley” instructing their children, the former agent and minor-hockey coach maintains that he’s not trying to hide and he doesn’t actually work with kids directly.

    While some involved with the Laguna Hockey Academy have a long association with Mr. Frost, some only discovered who he was in recent weeks. Mr. Frost – described in California as a competent coach – was the man who was once named as the target of a murder plot by former NHL player Mike Danton.

    Rik Wahlrad, who works as the chiropractor at the academy in Laguna Niguel, south of Long Beach, said Mr. Frost is a great coach.

    “In the few months he’s been working with my son, [his son has] become a much better hockey player. He spends an hour with him on his game,” he said. “I can’t think of one coach in Southern California who’s as qualified as him. He’s the grand poobah. I think he’s probably the most experienced hockey coach around, no question about it.”

    A fellow coach at the facility, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Mr. Frost has been working there since May. He said he mostly played an administrative role, running the academy’s hockey program, but that he also did some on-ice coaching with players ranging from 13 to adulthood.

    He said Mr. Frost never told him his real name.

    “I did know his face, but I couldn’t put a name to it,” he said, adding that about two months ago, he discovered the coach’s true identity via an online photograph of him.

    Others have discovered Mr. Frost’s identity, but he said it hadn’t seemed to be a problem for anyone.

    “I am not an expert on him, so I give people the benefit of the doubt,” he said. “People have not had an issue with that.”

    Others, however, were more troubled. The mother of an 11-year-old son who trains at the academy said she and other parents wanted people to know of Mr. Frost’s past.

    Speaking with reporters at the facility Tuesday, Mr. Frost said he was merely writing the protocols for the school, rather than training players. He also denied that he was trying to hide by using a different name, saying that he was using his middle name coupled with his wife’s maiden name to shield the academy from notoriety.

    “I’m certainly not running a hockey school. I’m certainly not here on an alias,” the Los Angeles Times quoted him as saying. “We’re not ducking. I’m completely legal. The company is completely legal. It’s above board.”

    Mr. Frost was charged in 2006 with several counts of sexual exploitation, dating to his time as a minor-hockey coach, and was accused of coercing his players into threesomes with him and their girlfriends. He was acquitted in 2008.

    In 2004, Mr. Danton, who played for Mr. Frost during his minor-league career and later used him as an agent, pleaded guilty to hiring a hitman to kill him. However, he later said his own father was actually the intended target of the hit. Mr. Danton was released from prison last year and plays university-level hockey in Halifax.

    With a report from James Christie


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Archives


%d bloggers like this: